Jonathan . Mallory . Duke . Calvin

Its our life, and we love it.

Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Independence Day

First of all, I hope everyone had a very wonderful Fourth of July. It's one of my favorite holidays, so we had a great day (even though the rain and 55 degree weather -what??- meant we missed the fireworks).

I thought in honor of our nations Independence Day, I would share a recent project I did for Duke to gain some independence. You see, right now he uses a crate. He sleeps there, he hangs out there while mom and dad leave the house, and sometimes he is "sent to his room" when he's bad. (Yes, I know this is not good training when concerning a crate, but we didn't start sending him there until he was older and already loved his crate.)

Well, when we move to Oklahoma, we're not sure if there will be anywhere in our house for his crate to go. This poses somewhat of a problem, as he considers his crate his very own room. So I had to come up with something else that could be just as special.

Duke was using Jon's old comforter for a bed. It was gross. It was old. It was ugly. So I did a simple slip cover for it. I even got a little fancy and put a zipper on one end so we can take the comforter out when cleaning. And, I made it pretty. Ready for this?



He was really excited to roll all over it to make sure everyone knew it was all his. Believe me, after that, I don't think anyone really wants to get too close to it. Which reminds me, we need to take Duke to get a bath...



So what do you think? It was an easy, 30 minute project on my sewing machine, but it made a world of difference. What do you do with your dog crate? Stick it in a closet? Only bring it out when you're going somewhere for a while? Don't even bother with one? Let me know, because I am open too any idea that will let us keep his crate, but hide it from public viewing.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails